Monday, January 6, 2014

Letter #67 01/06/2014 "En el Tiempo del Señor‏"

Dear Friends and Family,
¡Saludos!

This weekend has been a little stressful. After the mission I'm going to re-read my emails and count how many times the word "stress" appears. Fortunately, the church just came out with a "adjusting to mission life"/"how to manage stress" booklet. The things in it really work; I just wish they'd given it to me a year ago.

We are teaching a one-legged man named Alberto. His situation is complicated, to say the least. Teaching him has been a test in every aspect: charity, compassion, patience, listening to the Spirit, prayer, the gift of discernment, the gift of tongues, working with my companion, working with the ward. Everything I have learned on the mission seems to be especially pertinent now. My setting-apart blessing says that I "will stretch and grow in ways that will not be comfortable." Truer words have never been spoken.

This week is best summed up in the words of the Prophet Joseph: "In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them bearight, which is it, and how shall I know it?"

How do we know what to do when pulled from every side, pushed from behind, reminded, reprimanded, chastened, and pressured?

If any of you lack bwisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

We must listen to the still small voice of the Holy Ghost, which leads us to the presence of God. No one can stand in the place of the Spirit. No one can stand in the place of Jesus Christ or our Heavenly Father. We must listen, and read the scriptures that we be not deceived. We must have the faith to believe and expect that God will answer our prayers, if we ask not amiss.

In the midst of all the confusion, there have been moments when I looked up at the gigantic Uruguayan sky and felt deep gratitude for the blessings, oportunities, and the tests. I know He answers my prayers when I ask according to His will.

Love you forever,
Hermana Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment