Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Letter # 6 10/18/12

Dear Family,

What a week! Our little District Moróni of only four missionaries was officially disbanded, and we've integrated into other districts with our new Latin companions. Mi nueva compañera se llamado Hermana Spitale, from Cordoba, Argentina. I am the only English-speaker in my class all day, every day and I'm starting to realize just how much I don't understand. Luckily, I've had all of these classes before. As I have been here for 7 weeks and my compañera only one, I am the senior companion. This change has also made me realize how much I used to rely on Hermana Harris, who was the senior companion last transfer. At first I was really afraid that there would be a huge language barrier between me and Hermana Spitale-- and I was right. But we also have the companionship of the Holy Ghost with us constantly. He is the best translator you could hope for!

Speaking is MUCH easier for me than understanding. At least when I speak I can make hand gestures and form words that kind of sound like what they're supposed to be, but I'm not used to having to focus so much when people talk. I'm getting better, though; earlier today we had a workshop for the Latin missionaries totally in Spanish, and I think I got about 70%. At least the general idea.

Next Wednesday, Elder Bednar, Elder Oaks and one of the other members of the Quorrum are coming to the CCM! No one seems to know who the third one is, but of course this devocional is sure to be fantastic!

About last Monday, when we taught Fortunata. You know me: I set my expectations really high, always. And almost always the Lord decides to teach me something different. When Nefi asked for the strength to burst the bonds with which he was bound, the Lord answered by loosening them instead. He answered in a way that reminded Nefi that it was by the Lord's power that these things are done. When we were fasting and praying beforehand I always felt hesitant to ask that Fortunata would be baptized I wanted to commit her to baptizm during the lesson, but I simply couldn't, for one reason or another. We taught her for 45 minutes and I never had the opportunity. Instead she agreed to read from the Book of Mormon and pray about it-- something that she has never committed to before. I'm still praying-- I'm always praying. My entire day is one long prayer.

Proselitismo is AMAZING. We go out for about 3-4 hours on Saturday and find references for the "real" missionaries. This last Staturday we hit dead ends everywhere, not to mention getting out there an hour later than usual. We were sitting near a bus stop hoping to talk to some people (at least at a bus stop no one can run away from us) but we weren't having much success. I said a silent prayer saying, "Heavenly Father, we want to serve, but I don't know if I can do this. Please, just give me a chance to prove to myself that I can be a missionary. Please send me someone to teach." Ten seconds later, a woman walked up and I started converstaion. She was our first contact of the day. Three more followed within 30 minutes. The message was pretty clear: "Maybe you're right: maybe you can't do this. But I can."

I'm really short on time today, so that has to be all!

Les amo para siempre!
Su Hija y Hermana,
Hermana Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment