Monday, December 10, 2012

Letter #13 12/10/12

I have completed my first six weeks in the mission! This week has been amazing. We've been blessed with so much success. This coming Saturday Hermana Vargas and I are looking forward to three baptisms: Gabriela, Magalì, and Franco. Gabriela I told you about in the last email, and remember Adriana? Magalì is her 9 year old granddaughter and Franco her 8 year old son. Franco doesn't actually count as "our" baptism, technically, but we're teaching the two together.

Yesterday at church a non-member showed up at church because her friend, the primary president, had invited her. She (Lucia) loved church, and then we went to go visit her that afternoon. We invited her to be baptized on the 29th and she agreed, and then when we were about to leave we asked if there was anyone she knew that we could teach. She went and put on her shoes and went with us around the corner (with her Book of Mormon, Hymn Book and Gospel Principles manual in hand) to visit a woman who had recently lost her son. The woman we went to visit wasn't there, but the entire experience really impacted me. We have 5 baptisms planned for the next six weeks and we've found even more people to teach in just this week. The amazing thing is that I don't even feel like I'm doing anything but walking in the hot sun, and these people just seem to be in our way. It's hard work, yes, and I'm ALWAYS tired, but there are so many additional unseen forces at work in the lives of these people.

It is SO hot here. Hermana Vargas and I bought wide-brimmed hats to protect us from the sun, and I use sunscreen (usually) and I get pretty red. I can literally feel the road moving under my feet when we walk. The world is melting! So much for Uruguay being temperate year-round. I don't know the temperature in Farenheight, but it's hot. It was hard to adjust to, at first-- my second week I almost passed out while proselyting-- but the Lord has strengthened me in so many ways.

Congratulations, Sarah!!!!

My time is up.

Love you all so much!

Always,
Hermana Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment