Monday, January 28, 2013

Letter # 20 01/28/13

Querida Familia,

Today my companion and I visited the catholic cathedral in the middle of our zone to take a look around. It was really neat but I couldn't help but feel uneasy. However, I was impressed by the people praying in the chapel. These people have real dedication. I thought about the scripture that says many are kept from the truth because they know not where to find it. I would add that some are kept from the truth because they think they already have.

Uruguayos talk A LOT. Hermana Vargas and I have been working on interrupting. It's really hard for me, because I feel so irritated when people interrupt me, but I'm getting better. There are a few signs to watch for in order to tell when you need to cut in. Generally, it's when they start repeating themselves. They can talk and talk and talk themselves into a deeper pit if we don't save them. The following are a few phrases that serve as red flags for interruption:
"Soy Catolico..." ("I'm catholic")
"Tengo fe-- tengo MUCHO fe..." ("I have faith-- I have a LOT of faith...")
"...pero respeto todas las religiones..." ("... but I respect all religions...")
"No soy por ir a la capilla y todo..." ("I don't like going to church...")

These, among others, are the phrases that we hear at least 3 times each every day.

Hope you all are well. Love you forever.

Always,
Hermana Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment