Monday, January 7, 2013

Letter #17 01/07/13

Mi Querida Familia,
This week has been really hard. I have never had such a hard time fasting. Hermana Vargas and I usually come into church with high spirits, but yesterday it just seemed harder than ever. Our branch mission leader, Juan Alanìs, called us last night to schedule our weekly correlation meeting and asked if there was something wrong or if something had happened. No, we're just really tired. The holidays are hard because no one wants to talk to you and everyone else is on vacation at the beach, so we've been spending a lot more time than usual in the street. I'm really sunburned.
On Saturday night after starting our fast we both felt ready to fall over. It was at this point that my wonderful companion asked me what my first reaction would be if I saw the Savior like the Nephites did. I said I'd probably do the same thing they did, an be on my knees. We walked in silence for a little while and then Hermana Vargas said, "Siento que Jesucristo esta caminando por nuestro lado" or, "I feel like the Savior is walking by our side." I thought of the song, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me." He is an eternal source of strength for us.

About the culture here:
Transportation - almost everyone gets around by motorcycles, about the size of the Trail 90. They can fit entire families (and a dog) on one. I  never cease to be amazed at the things people do while driving their motos - drinking mate and breastfeeding are the two that scare me the most.

More to come.

I love you so much!
Siempre,
Hermana Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment