Monday, March 4, 2013

Letter #25 03/04/13

Querida Familia,
It's been kind of a stressful week, but we found a lot of new people to teach and we're settling in well into our house, I think. Hermana Ocampos is an awesome missionary, but she's really quiet and I'm still learning how to make conversation in Spanish, so that's been a challenge. She speaks zero English, which is good for me to practice Spanish. She is from Asunciòn, Paraguay, and she speaks both Spanish and Guaranì, which is a native language of the area. She is really good at working with members, which is one of the things I want to work on during this transfer. Apparently, Hermana Vargas and I have been counting our referrals wrong for four months, and so when we did our accounting last night the numbers were all off and it was difficult to get it resolved in Spanish. I am now officially the only English-speaker in my district.

The other day we passed a store with a sign that said, "En el vaticano no hay Papa, ¡pero acà sì!" And we had a good laugh. ("There's no Pope in the vatican, but here there is!" is a rough translation. It's funny because the word for Pope and potato are the same).
Since you've asked, there are a few things you could send me. If someone wants to go through my clothes in those red boxes, there is a pair of gray leggings and/or my gray hoodie and/or a beanie that would be really useful for when it gets cold. I can't think of any other clothing specifically, but anything long-sleeved/warm. Also fruit snacks.

To send packages, send them to the mission home address (I don't have it on me right now). I would suggest not sending anything bigger than a cubic foot or so; I have heard of big and/or heavy packages taking up to 4-5 months to arrive because of customs.

I love you! Thank you so much for your support, emails, and prayers.

Love you forever,
Hermana Phillips
 
PS - I have no pictures of the family. I would really love to have some, if it's at all possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment